|Home Page||Embassy Newsletters||Quick Links||Contact Us|
For more information visit www.mfa.gov.az
- Promotion of pluralistic democracy based on market economy and the rule of law
- Conduct of an independent foreign policy aimed at the soonest restoration of sovereignty and territorial integrity of Azerbaijan over its territory
- Elimination of threats and risks to the security, political independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity of Azerbaijan
- Peaceful settlement of the conflict with Armenia over Nagorno-Karabakh region of Azerbaijan through negotiations within the framework of the OSCE Minsk Group on the basis of the principles of the OSCE Lisbon Summit
- Elimination of the consequences of military aggression of Armenia against Azerbaijan
- Development of good-neighbourly and mutually advantageous relations with neighbouring countries
- Promotion of security and stability in the region
- Prevention of illegal arms and other transfers in the region
- Adherence to existing global non-proliferation regimes and establishment of a nuclear-free zone in the Southern Caucasus
- Demilitarization of the Caspian Sea basin
- Integration into European and Transatlantic security and cooperation structures, including NATO, EU, WEU, CE
- Facilitation of the development of various sectors of the country's economy with due consideration of Azerbaijan's crucial geostrategic location at the crossroads between the East and West
- Development of the Eurasian Transport Corridor of which Azerbaijan is a part
The Republic of Azerbaijan was declared on August 30, 1991. On October 18, 1991 the Parliament of Azerbaijan passed a Bill on Declaration of Independence.
Constitution: Approved in November 1995 referendum
Executive - President (head of state), Prime Minister (head of government), Council of Ministers (Cabinet) ( http://www.president.az).
Legislative - Unicameral Parliament - Milli Mejlis with 125 five-year-terms elected members (http://www.meclis.gov.az).
Judicial – Constitutional Court, Supreme Court.
The Republic of Azerbaijan consists of one autonomy formation - Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic, 65 regions, 69 cities, 13 urban regions, 130 settlements of urban type and 4354 rural settlements.
Major political parties: New Azerbaijan Party, Popular Front Party, Musavat Party, National Independence Party, Azerbaijan Democratic Party, Social-Democratic Party, others.
Suffrage: 18 years of age, universal.
The national currency is Manat (AZM).
The Azerbaijan language is the State language of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
The capital of Azerbaijan is Baku with over 2 million population.